Wednesday, April 18, 2012

SCSM 2012 deployment tips

untitledI’ve spent the past couple of days getting my hands really dirty with something fairly unknown to me: System Center 2012 Service Manager. Despite having attended a course on SCSM2010 last year, planning a deployment – even a POC – for the 2012 deployment I felt a little overwhelmed. Luckily there is a full library of documentation available already, and some great blogs on the topic too.

If you are planning this mammoth task, be sure to:

  1. Have your service catalogue documented
  2. Know what you want to achieve with this product.
  3. Read the deployment guide
  4. Read the planning guide
  5. Read the administrator guide
  6. Give the SCSM servers enough memory and storage (I thought that OpsMgr was a hungry beast, but SCSM makes it look like a model eater)

I did run into one little issue that seems to happen quite frequently in SCSM, if all my googles are anything to go by. Unfortunately, 99.9999% of the returned results helped absolutely didly, so here is what I did (and hopefully it will help someone out there).

MPSyncJob gets stuck on reporting management packs:

MPSyncJob runs and completes without error, but some management packs are still pending association. In my case, they were the reporting MPs.

image

Many many googles insisted that I should gac the reporting services dll that you have to copy over and a couple of other things that are applicable for SCSM2010 instead. I thought I was going a little insane for a couple of days and tried a variety of things including restarting the services in different orders, re-importing the management packs and so on, but the final fix was as follows:

  1. In the SCSM console, navigate to Data Warehouse > Management packs
  2. Sort management packs by deployment status, locate those that are in a Failed state
  3. Right click on each, select Restart Deployment

Give it some time – I walked away for about 10 minutes – and then refresh. Each of them should now have a Completed status, and the MPSyncJob should now run through successfully. Thanks to Miao Jun Huang for this blog post that provided some guidance and much needed sanity.

image

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails